Brown butter, toasted coconut and ground almonds create the amazing flavor and texture in these cookies. Then learn the secret how to make these cookies look as amazing as they taste! There are 4 tips to baking the best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER…
TIP #1: Use Brown Butter. Once you brown the butter, allow it to solidify before using (if hardened in the fridge, allow to sit at room temperature until soft). You want it to have the same consistency as softened butter, otherwise the cookies will turn out quite flat.
TIP #2: Chill dough for 2 hours. This ensures all the gluten free flours have time to absorb the moisture from the other ingredients, which prevents that gritty after-taste. Because there is hardly any liquids in this recipe, the flours need the full 2 hours to completely soften.
TIP #3: Use a 1.5″ diameter cookie scoop. The rounded shape allows the cookies to melt at the perfect rate, so you end up with a cookie that’s not to puffy and not too flat. It also ensures they all cook at the same time.
TIP #4: Roll cookies in chocolate chips. Stir half the chocolate chips into the batter then place the remaining in a dish and roll or press the chocolate chips to cover the entire surface (except the bottom) of the dough. As the cookies bake they will spread out and the chocolate chips will be perfectly distributed – this is the secret to perfect looking chocolate chip cookies!
The Best Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes toasted
- 1 3/4 cups GFC Flour Blend for Baking
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup browned butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips divided (will not use them all)
- Toast coconut flakes in a dry skillet, shaking pan once they start to turn golden. If long flakes, break up with your fingers once cool. Set aside.
- Combine flour, almond meal, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum in a bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl cream together browned butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla, and then eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the flour mixture until combined, then add 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips and the coconut.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill dough for 2 hours (no less!).
- Use a 1.5" cookie scoop to shape dough and place on a prepared baking sheet.
- Place remaining chocolate chips in a small dish and roll or press the chocolate chips to cover the entire surface, except the bottom.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes for chewy cookies or 12 minutes for crunchy cookies.
Xanthan gum can be replaced with 2 tsp prepared chia seeds.