Originally I was creating this recipe as a braised chicken dish, but the sauce wasn’t thickening like I wanted. So instead of throwing it out, I made it into a soup! And it turned out more delicious than I could have imagined!
|Creamy Lemon-Pesto Soup|| |
- 4 bone-in chicken quarters, skinless
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 4 whole cloves garlic, skin removed and smashed
- 3 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow), chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 egg yolks, optional
- 1 cup heavy cream (or canned coconut milk)
- 1-2 Tbsp of pesto from recipe: Italian Walnut Pesto Chicken
- 1-3 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- To a wide/shallow Dutch oven, or a large skillet (enough so 4 chicken quarters can lay flat), melt butter and oil. Once hot, add chicken and garlic. Sear chicken 3 minutes on each side.
- Add enough broth so liquid level comes halfway up chicken (2-3 cups). Add lemon juice, zest, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer covered for 30-40 minutes, or until fully cooked. Remove chicken and pull meat off bones, cutting into bite-sized pieces. Set aside. Strain cooking liquid and reserve.
- While chicken is cooking, sauté a mix of yellow, orange and red peppers, until nice and golden brown in places. Set aside.
- To a large stock pot, add reserved cooking liquid from chicken, chicken pieces, peppers, along with another 2-3 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- If desired, slowly drizzle in 2 eggs yolks while whisking continuously - this will help thicken soup as well as add a rich creaminess to soup.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in cream (or canned coconut milk).
- Just before serving, stir in 1-2 Tbsp of Italian Walnut Pesto (to taste), garnish with parsley.
Keto-Friendly/Low Carb Recipe