Flavored little meatballs, a savory broth, and pasta create this deliciously comforting soup. Lemon added at the end of the cooking time serves to balance the richness of the sausage meatballs perfectly.
Combine the meatball ingredients and shape into marble-sized balls. To save time you can shape the meatballs and freeze them ahead of time. Just defrost them before you add them to the slow cooker.
To the (hot) stock mixture, add the meatballs and cook on high for about 3 hours. *Note: Raw meats cooked in slow cooker may still retain a pink colored inside even when fully cooked. Use an instant read thermometer to ensure that meatballs are above 165°F.
Italian Wedding Soup (Slow Cooker)
- 1 lb GF mild Italian sausuage casings removed
- 1/2 cup GF dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup milk or milk alternative
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 6 cups hot GF chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup GF mini pasta shells or GF orzo
- 1 lemon sliced 1/4" thick
- 10 oz baby spinach leaves Swiss chard or escarole, chopped (about 1 cup chopped, loosely packed)
- Lemon slices
- Grated Parmesan
- Chopped fresh basil
- For meatballs, combine all ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Shape into marble-size balls (1/2 Tbsp) and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Pour hot chicken broth into slow cooker, and whisk in tomato paste, garlic and pepper flakes. Add meatballs and cook on high for 2.5-3 hours. Raw meats cooked in slow cooker may still retain a pink colored inside even when fully cooked. Use an instant read thermometer to ensure that meatballs are above 165°F.
- Twenty minutes before serving, toss 4 lemon slices into slow cooker.
- In a large pot, boil pasta until tender.
- Just before serving, discard lemon slices, then add cooked pasta and spinach to slow cooker. Heat for 1 minute then serve.
- If desired, put a fresh lemon slice into each bowl and garnish with grated Parmesan.
-You can make and freeze the meatballs ahead of time, just be sure to thaw them out before adding to slow cooker.