Cornbread gives a slightly sweet flavor to this herbed stuffing.
|Cornbread Salad|| |
Author: Angie Halten
Use as a stuffing for your turkey, or add some meat and enjoy it as a side dish.
- 16 ounces GF cornbread, cut into 1' cubes
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup GF chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bake cornbread cubes on a baking sheet for 25-30 minutes at 300°F then remove to cool.
- In a saucepan, sauté the chopped onion, celery, and butter until mixture is soft. You can add your own seasonings if you choose for a more flavorful mix.
- Add in cornbread and seasonings and gently mix. Allow to cool, then gently stir in chicken broth.
- For stuffing, don’t over stuff the turkey cavity, since the stuffing will expand as it bakes, so pack it loosely. Use an instant read thermometer in the center of the stuffing to check for doneness (165°F).
- For dressing, place inside a covered, buttered casserole dish and bake it at 350°F for about 1 hour (drizzle over some melted butter or pan drippings half way through if you wish).
For a side dish, add any leftover cooked meats such as ham or chicken if you like.