Instead of buying expensive liqueurs to flavor your coffee, try making your own.
|Chocolate Hazelnut Liqueur|| |
Author: Marla Hingley
Make your own specialty drink by adding an ounce of the liqueur to coffee.
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ cups whole hazelnuts
- 750ml (25oz) vodka
- In a small saucepan heat together the sugar, cocoa and water bringing to a boil. Once sugar is dissolved, allow to cool completely.
- Prepare hazelnuts by removing skins then toasting - see How To Peel Hazelnuts for directions. Once nuts are cooled, coarsely chop and add to a 4 cup jar (with lid).
- Pour cocoa mixture and vodka into jar and tighten lid. Shake well to combine.
- Keep in fridge for 3 weeks, shaking jar once a day or so, to allow the flavors to infuse the vodka.
- Strain mixture through a mesh sieve to remove (and discard) the nuts. Pour through some cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel to remove the finer bits of hazelnut skin, then strain through a coffee filter. Let mixture sit for an hour to settle, then strain a final time through another clean coffee filter.
- Pour into a clean bottle and store in the fridge for up to 3 months.
FAQ – Is Vodka Gluten Free?