Instead of buying expensive liqueurs to flavor your coffee, try making your own.
Heat together the sugar, cocoa and water until dissolved. Allow to cool completely.
Once you’ve peeled, toasted and chopped the hazelnuts, place them in a jar with the cocoa mixture and vodka.
After 3 weeks in the fridge (shaking up every day or so), strain the mixture to remove all the nuts.
Strain the liquid through a coffee filter to remove as much suspended solids as possible. Let mixture settle for an hour, then strain again through another clean coffee filter.
Chocolate Hazelnut Liqueur
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups whole hazelnuts
- 750 ml 25oz vodka
- In a small saucepan heat together the sugar, cocoa and water bringing to a boil. Once sugar is dissolved, allow to cool completely.
- Prepare hazelnuts by removing skins then toasting - see How To Peel Hazelnuts for directions. Once nuts are cooled, coarsely chop and add to a 4 cup jar (with lid).
- Pour cocoa mixture and vodka into jar and tighten lid. Shake well to combine.
- Keep in fridge for 3 weeks, shaking jar once a day or so, to allow the flavors to infuse the vodka.
- Strain mixture through a mesh sieve to remove (and discard) the nuts. Pour through some cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel to remove the finer bits of hazelnut skin, then strain through a coffee filter. Let mixture sit for an hour to settle, then strain a final time through another clean coffee filter.
- Pour into a clean bottle and store in the fridge for up to 3 months.
FAQ – Is Vodka Gluten Free?