Escargots are readily available at your grocery store in the canned seafood section. You can buy little packets of dried herbs and flavorings that are mixed with butter to pour over the escargot, but some of those brands can contain gluten. So when you’re craving those buttery little bites of goodness, here is an easy recipe you can make at home.
Combine all the spices together, grinding everything into a fine powder. This spice combination is similar to Herbs de Provence, which contains lavender. If you can’t find edible fresh lavender, simply omit it.
Remove the mushroom stem and scoop out some of the insides to make more room for the escargot. Pan fry the mushroom caps with some butter until they are tender. Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter and stir in the herbs.
Once the mushroom caps are tender and golden, place into the wells of the dish and fill each with an escargot. Combine the butter mixture with the dry Parmesan, enough to make a thin paste, then spoon generously over each escargot. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan and bake until bubbly.
|Baked Escargot|| |
- 7 oz can escargot, drained (30-40 count)
- 30 whole mushrooms, medium sized
- GF french bread
- 12 medium mushrooms, stems removed
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, divided
- 2-3 garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp rosemary
- ⅛ tsp lavender
- ⅛ tsp sage
- ⅛ tsp thyme
- ⅛ tsp marjoram
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2-3 Tbsp Parmesan, powdered-style
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated
- Rinse escargot in water to ensure they are free of any sediment.
- In fry pan, melt 2 Tbsp of the butter and saute the mushrooms until lightly golden and tender. Place into each well of an escargot dish (or any other small baking dish).
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan and saute the garlic until fragrant. Stir in the remaining herbs and spices. Pour mixture into a dish, and stir in enough of the dry Parmesan until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Place 1 escargot into each mushroom cap, and generously spoon over butter mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Serve with sliced french bread (toasted or fresh).