The baked garlic adds such a rich depth of flavor that you won’t even miss the ham that is traditionally in this savory soup.
Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot and bring a to boil. Reduce and simmer until split peas are tender, skimming off any foam that develops.
Use a potato masher or an immersion blender/food processor to puree the soup a little or a lot – depending on how chunky you want your soup to be.
|Vegetarian Split-Pea Soup|| |
- 3 cups dried split peas
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled & cubed (1½lbs)
- 7 carrots, sliced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded & chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 whole baked garlic, mashed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 16 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients together in a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer (partially covered) for 45 minutes or until peas are tender. Skim off any foam that develops.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve as is for a chunky style soup, mash lightly with potato masher, or run through a food processor/immersion blender for a smooth soup.