Chorizo and white fish may seem like an odd combination, but one bite and you’ll be convinced.
Remove the casings from the fresh chorizo and sauté until fully cooked. Be sure not to break up the sausage too much, keep the chunks large – as they will break down even more as the soup simmers. Remove the cooked sausage from the pot and set aside while sauteing the onion, celery and carrot, for about 10 minutes.
Add the evaporated milk and bring to a light simmer until veggies are tender and mixture has reduced. The great thing about evaporated milk is that it is less prone to curdling, and can simmer for greater lengths of time. You can use coconut milk but add it near the end and do not bring to a boil or it will curdle.
|Chorizo & Fish Chowder|| |
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb GF chorizo, casings removed
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 lb white potatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 cans (370ml each) evaporated milk or coconut milk*
- ¼ tsp Sriracha, or more to taste
- 2 cups GF veggie stock
- 12oz white fish fillet, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- In a large pot, sauté the chorizo in oil until fully cooked. Don’t break up the sausage too much, keep the chunks large –they will break down even more as the soup simmers.
- Add onion, celery and carrot, sautéing for about 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except fish, and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add fish and simmer for another 10 minutes.