The bacon gives this sauce a deliciously deep smokey flavor. Omit cheese for dairy-free version, it tastes just as great!
Tomato, Bacon & Cheese Pasta
- Your favorite GF pasta
- 6 GF bacon slices chopped
- 3-6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 large can 540ml petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 Tbsp GF tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper or 1/2 tsp GF sweet red pepper spice
- 4 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese coarsely grated (or for creamier sauce: try crumbled feta cheese instead)
- Cook pasta according to directions and set aside.
- Sauté bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Spoon off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from pan.
- Add garlic to pan and stir 30 seconds, then add wine and scrape up any browned bits. Add tomatoes with juices, tomato paste, oregano and spices. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, then mix in 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Add pasta and cheese into sauce and toss gently. Serve then sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.
[hr]FAQ: Is Red Wine Gluten Free?