Soy granules or TVP take the place of bulgar in this popular Middle Eastern salad.
- 1 cup coarse soy granules soy grits or GF textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley washed & finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves washed & chopped (or ½ tsp dried)
- 1 large tomatoes diced
- Juice of 1 lemon or more to taste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the boiling water over the soy or TVP granules, cover, and allow to stand until most of the water is absorbed (about an hour). Squeeze any remaining liquid out of the granules before placing in a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add more lemon juice and mint to taste. Toss together, cover the bowl, and refrigerate at least an hour before serving.