This dairy free warm sweet sauce can be poured over slices of your favorite cake, or over a traditional steamed Christmas Pudding.
You can use either white or brown sugar – depending on the flavor and color you want your final sauce to be.
Once everything is combined together and the mixture has been brought to a roiling boiling, allow to boil vigorously for 2-3 minutes or until lightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Butter adds a richness to the flavor, silkiness to the texture, and a shiny sheen to the sauces color – so be sure not to omit it.
Sweet Vanilla Sauce
- 1 cup white or brown sugar*
- 3 Tbsp corn flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a small saucepan, mix together the sugar, corn flour and salt until well combined.
- Whisk in boiling water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, allow to boil for 2 minutes to thicken, then remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Use warm or at room temperature.
*For those who can have dairy, and want a richer, creamier and thicker sauce, replace the boiling water with hot milk