These sugar cookies are filled with candy ‘glass’ that are beautiful enough to use as ornaments to hang on your tree. This is a great recipe to get your kids involved – they will love cutting out the cookies and crushing up the candies with a mallet. You could even hang these in front of a window, see for yourself how beautiful these look when the light shines through them…
|Stained Glass Cookies|| |
- Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 30-40 GF hard candies in a variety of colors (such as Life Savers), crushed
- Prepare dough as per recipe, and allow to chill in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Sort candies according to colors, then crush using a mallet.
- Roll out dough on a piece of parchment paper, then cut into shapes. While keeping the main cookie cutter still on the dough, press out the inner pieces with another small cookie cutter. Keeping the outer shape on prevents the dough from potentially splitting.
- Use a spatula and transfer cookies to silicon or parchment lined baking pan.
- Use a spoon to sprinkle in the candy, being carefully not to get any on the cookies surface (any candy specks will melt and color the cookie). Fill the candy right to the top, it will melt down.
- Freeze for 10 minutes, then bake at 375°F for 8-10 minutes until candies are completely melted.
- If using as ornaments, as soon as you remove from oven, use a wooden skewer to create a hole in the top of the cookie.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes on baking sheet before removing, or the candy will separate from the cookie.