With this recipe it means that cream soups, gravy, cream sauce, cheese sauce and soufflés are all back on your menu again! If you’ve ever had lumpy sauces, its because you didn’t create a roux first. A roux mixes the fat with the flour before adding the liquid – this prevents lumps from forming.
|Roux (Cream Sauce/Gravy Base)|| |
- 2 Tbsp white rice flour
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine (or meat/pan drippings)
- 2 cups liquid (milk, cream, or broth)
- Salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste
- Melt butter (or meat drippings) over medium heat.
- Add flour, stirring continuously, until all fat is absorbed.
- While whisking constantly, add about ½ cup of the liquid.Lower heat to a simmer and continue to add remaining liquid. Mixture will thicken and smooth out.
- Add any flavorings/spices at this point (ie. 1 cup grated cheese for cheese sauce)