Several gluten free pastas like corn or amaranth have such a strong or distinct flavor, it can sometimes overpower the other ingredients in the recipe. Black bean pasta however has such a neutral flavor, it’s the perfect choice when using with a flavorful sauce.
The noodles may look a little like worms…which is why this dish makes the perfect Halloween inspired meal! Filled with black worms (noodles), fat grubs (shrimp), slugs (peppers), and a bit of grass (fresh herbs), your family will get a fright when you put this in front of them on ‘All Hallows’ Eve’!
|Red Curry with Black Bean Pasta|| |
- 186g black bean noodles
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup bell peppers, sliced
- 400 ml can coconut milk (full fat)
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste*
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Zest from half lime
- 20 large shrimp
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Sauté the peppers with the olive oil until tender.
- Pour the coconut milk into a bowl and use a mixer to blend the milk into a smooth mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients, except herbs and shrimp, and simmer until mixture is reduced and your desired thickness has been achieved. Stir in herbs and shrimp, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 3 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
- Stir in pasta, tossing gently to coat until pasta is heated throughout.