Try making your own marshmallows, its easier than you think.
- 3 pkgs unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- In a large mixing bowl, add ½ cup water and sprinkle on gelatin. Let sit.
- In a saucepan add ½ cup water, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Heat over medium high heat until candy thermometer reaches 240°F then immediately remove from the heat.
- Using a mixer, slowly add the sugar syrup into the gelatin mixture. Then beat on high until it becomes very thick, about 15 minutes. Then mix in the vanilla.
- In a bowl, combine icing sugar and cornstarch. Grease a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with some of the icing sugar mixture. Reserve rest.
- Pour sugar mixture into pan, and spread out evenly with a greased spatula. Dust some of the icing sugar mixture over top to fully coat. Then let sit uncovered for at least 4 hours.
- Flip out the marshmallows out onto a cutting board, then cut into squares using a pizza cutter (dusted with the icing sugar mixture). Then sprinkle the remaining icing sugar mixture over all the cut sides of the marshmallows.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.