This hot & gooey dip is delicious with crackers or spread on chunks of gluten free flat bread.
While sauteing the squash, add in a bit of water as needed to prevent it from sticking to the pan. Once it’s tender, place in a small casserole dish (the final dip will be about 2 cups, so choose an appropriate size dish – not too large, or you can portion everything into ramekin dishes for individual portions).
Turn off the heat, stir in half the cheese and pour everything into a small casserole dish and mix well. Top with remaining cheese and broil until bubbly and golden brown.
Hot Butternut & Bacon Dip
- 4 strips bacon finely chopped
- 2 cups grated butternut squash then finely chopped
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp GFC Flour Blend for Cooking
- ¾ cup heavy cream or canned coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup Gruyere cheese grated
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry bacon in skillet until browned, place in a small casserole dish and set aside (keep a bit of grease in skillet).
- Fry squash in skillet until tender, adding a bit of water as needed to prevent it from sticking to pan. Add garlic and green onions, stirring for another minute. Scrape into the casserole dish with the bacon. Set aside.
- In skillet, melt butter then whisk in flour, cooking for a minute. Add in cream and cayenne, whisking until smooth. Reduce heat and simmer to allow it to thicken, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in half the cheese and lemon juice and pour into the casserole dish. Stir everything together to combine, top with remaining cheese and broil until hot and bubbling, about 5-10 minutes.