Ever make a layered cake and afterwards when its sitting on the table it seems lopsided? Unless they aren't cut evenly, it's because the icing you used in the middle was too soft and the weight of the cake caused the icing to squish out the sides, making it uneven.
This buttercream recipe is not too sweet, and as a delicious light coffee flavor. There is a secret ingredient which is what gives it the structure to be able to hold up well, yet it is soft and delicious tasting.
Try this icing with my tasty Yellow Cake, and see what a perfect layered cake this makes!
|Dark Mocha Buttercream|
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp brewed strong coffee
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee granules
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1½- 1¾ cups icing sugar, sifted
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients except butter and icing sugar. Whisk together until smooth then cook over med-low heat, stirring often, until just comes to a boil (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl, allow to cool completely.
- Using a mixer, add butter and enough icing sugar until you get the consistency you want. Continue beating for another 2 minutes, until completely smooth.