Using fire-roasted tomatoes adds a wonderful rich and smoky flavor to this thick soup. For parties, try serving this in shot glasses for a fun and easy to ‘drink’ soup!
|Creamy Tuscan Tomato Soup|| || |
Author: Marla Hingley
Using fire-roasted tomatoes add a wonderful rich and smoky flavor to this thick soup.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 oz. reduced fat GF cream cheese*, cubed
- 2 cups milk or milk alternative
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, sauté onions in oil until soft, then add garlic and tomatoes. Add cream cheese, and stir until melted. Stir in the the basil.
- Pour mixture into a blender (in 2 batches), and process until smooth, then return to pan.
- Add milk and seasonings, and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
For a dairy free version, omit the milk and cream cheese and replace with some full fat coconut milk. Add ¼ cup at a time until you get the taste and creaminess you like.