Potatoes, pumpkin and butternut squash create a thick rich soup, perfect for dipping a crusty piece of gluten free focaccia in. Canned pumpkin or fresh can be used in this easy to make bisque.
Creamy Pumpkin Bisque with Bacon & Crispy Sage Leaves
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 4 small white potatoes
- 2 cups pumpkin peeled and chopped (or 1 cup pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup butternut squash peeled and chopped (optional)
- 3 3/4 cups GF vegetable broth
- 1 cup cream or canned coconut milk*
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices GF bacon diced
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large fry pan, sauté onions and garlic in oil until soft. Add potatoes, pumpkin and squash, sauteing for another few minutes.
- Add stock and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Pour into a food processor and purée until smooth. Return to large stockpot.
- Add cream, and more stock depending on how thick you want the soup.
- Add remaining ingredients, adjust seasonings to taste, then allow to simmer while preparing garnishes.
- Fry chopped bacon until crisp, place on paper towels and set aside. Using bacon grease, fry sage leaves for 10-20 seconds until crisp.
- To serve, fill bowls and top with some bacon and sage.
- Flavor Variation: beforehand, roast pumpkin and squash in oven at 400°F for about 30 minutes until soft and golden brown. Then add to the soup as directed.