The chorizo adds a wonderful touch of flavor and spiciness to this hearty chicken soup.
Saute the chicken and chorizo in bathes until browned on all sides (but not fully cooked). Set aside.
Add the stock, celery, and tomatoes and simmer(covered) for 30 minutes.
Add the milk and simmer another 10 minutes uncovered. Evaporated milk works in recipes where the soup needs to be boiled/simmered for long lengths of time because evaporated milk will not curdle. The heating process used to create the evaporated milk conditions the milk proteins which prevents them from curdling. For those wanting a dairy free option, you can use canned coconut milk although it must be added in just before serving, as it will curdle if simmered at too high of temperatures.
Spicy Tomato & Chicken Chorizo Soup
- 4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb chorizo casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups canned stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups GF chicken stock
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 Tbsp GF Worcestershire
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk or canned coconut milk*
- Sauté chicken in a large pot or Dutch oven with a bit of oil until fully cooked, set aside.
- Brown chorizo, breaking up slightly, then add garlic. Return chicken to pan and remaining ingredients except milk.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes or until celery is tender.
- Just before serving, season to taste with salt and pepper.