A deliciously thick and creamy soup – but without the dairy! Canned white kidney beans are all you need to create the thick and creamy texture. Then for even more flavor, top the soup with some fresh baked focaccia croutons.
To make the soup as thick as possible, seed the fresh tomatoes and remove all their watery pulp: Core out the stem, then squeeze the tomato over a dish to remove the seeds and excess juices (discard).
Rosemary & Tomato Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 large 2lbs tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 15 oz cans cannellini white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups GF chicken broth or vegetable
- 1 sprig rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Focaccia Croutons
- Olive oil
- Using a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté onions and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add tomato paste and stir for another minute – this helps to cook the ‘raw’ flavor from the tomato paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the rosemary sprig and puree the soup using a food process, blender, or immersion blender, until smooth. Return to pot to keep warm.
- For croutons, slice fresh focaccia, or chop into cubes and fry in a bit of oil until all sides are crunchy and golden.
- To serve, pour soup into bowls, top with focaccia croutons and lightly drizzle with a bit of oil.