Gluten free beer adds a wonderful tanginess to the soup, keeping the cheese from making it too heavy in taste.
Take the time to sweat the leeks and onions- over low heat, cover pan stirring occasionally until they are soft and translucent. You don’t want them to brown as it will affect the overall color of the soup.
If the cheese is not melting smooth enough (picture below left), run the soup though immersion blender/food processor until smooth.
Cheddar & Leek Soup
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 2 leeks diced (white & light green parts)
- ½-1 onion diced
- 1/3 cup GFC Flour Blend for Cooking
- 3 cups GF chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 can GF beer
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup heavy cream or canned coconut milk not light
- 4 cups aged cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp GF Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Sweat onions and leek in butter until softened and translucent (keep pan covered to trap moisture), stirring occasionally. Remove lid, add flour and stir for another minute.
- Add stock, water, beer and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring back to a simmer, stirring until smooth. If cheese is not melting smooth enough, run the soup through a food processor or an immersion blender.