Rich, creamy, silky smooth…For me, this has to be the most decadent and rich dessert I have ever made. Oh boy was it good (my non-sweet tooth, picky-eater husband even polished his off!). Caramel Pots de Crème is essentially a custard, similar to a crème caramel.
The trick is boiling the sugar and water mixture until it turns a golden amber color – that’s when the caramel flavor is created.
These are the perfect dessert to make for guests, since they can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge until needed.
Caramel Pots de Crème
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp GF milk chocolate finely chopped
- 6 large egg yolks
- In a medium pot, heat cream, milk, vanilla and salt until just starts to simmer. Cover, remove from heat and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, combine sugar and water and stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, but do not stir anymore. As the water evaporates, use a pastry brush wetted with water to dissolve the sugar crystals that form along the sides. Continue boiling until syrup turns a golden amber color (may take up to 15 minutes) to turn color.
- Remove from heat, and slowly pour in hot cream mixture (mixture will bubble vigorously), whisking consistently until entire mixture is incorporated. Then whisk in chocolate until smooth.
- Into bowl with eggs yolks, slowly pour in half of the caramel mixture (a small stream at a time, or else you will curdle the eggs), whisking continuously until everything is blended together. Add the remaining in and whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture through a sieve - to remove any sugar crystals that may not have been dissolved when boiling the sugar/water mixture.
- Pour the caramel into 6 ramekins, then place into a roaster. Fill roaster with hot water until level comes halfway up the ramekins. Cover roaster with lid (or cover tightly with tin foil) and bake at 325°F for 45-50 minutes or until edges of caramel are set, but the center still jiggles.
- Remove from water bath and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold (2 hrs-overnight).