This fresh tasting pesto can be used so many ways – spreading on a sandwich, tossed with hot pasta, or used as a spread on a crackers. Using the asparagus raw keeps all its nutritional value intact, as well it adds a great crunchy texture to the pesto.
Raw garlic can really overwhelm a dish. So if you have the time, try baking the garlic first, it will really mellow out the flavor. To save some time in the future, bake 3-4 heads of garlic, squeeze out the soft golden brown cloves and freeze them!
Raw Asparagus Pesto Spread
- ¼ cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 clove garlic minced (or 3 cloves of baked garlic)
- 12 oz asparagus chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp fresh oregano packed (or 2 Tbsp fresh basil)
- 2 tsp-1 Tbsp lemon juice to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Few dashes of GF hot sauce optional
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- To toast pine nuts, heat nuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until golden and fragrant, shaking pan often. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a food processor combine all the ingredients, except the oil and process until finely chopped.
- Slowly drizzle in the oil until you get the consistency you want.