If you invest in an ice cream maker, you can save a lot of money in the long run – why buy fancy flavored ice creams at $8/pint when you can make your own!
This Cuisinart brand ice cream maker was only $50 (on sale) and works great! No messing around with rock salt and ice, just freeze the inner tub then place in the machine with your ingredients and turn it on. In 20 minutes it’s done!
For best results make sure the ingredients that end up being poured into the machine are cold – some recipes call for cooking eggs and cream together first, so be sure to chill the mixture in the fridge before adding it to the ice cream maker.
Any additional flavorings like chocolate or nuts are to be added in the last minute of churning so they get well distributed.
|Espresso-Chip Ice Cream|| |
- 1 cup whole milk, well chilled
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup semisweet or dark chocolate, chopped in small pieces
- Whisk together the milk, sugar and espresso powder until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in cream and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and churn for about 20 minutes or until thick. Just before you turn the mixer off, add chocolate and allow to churn until well distributed.
- Transfer to a sealed container and freeze.