Perfectly frightful (and easy!) meringue treats for Halloween! These meringue cookies are so simple to make, and the kids can help poke the chocolate chip eyes into each ghostly cookie!
Crispy Marshmallow Ghosts
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 16-24 mini or regular GF chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whip eggs whites and cream of tartar for a minute. Add in the sugar after another minute of beating, a tablespoon at a time until all is incorporated, and stiff peaks form.
- Beat in vanilla, then spoon into a pastry bag (with ½ inch tip) or a large zipper lock bag with the tip cut off.
- Pipe meringue onto baking sheets in a wavy ghost-like shape.
- Press chocolate chips into meringue to make eyes, then bake at 200°F for about 1 – 1 ½ hours. If you want slightly soft insides, remove from oven and allow to cool on counter. For completely crunchy cookies, keep in oven (with heat off and door closed) for another hour.