The curry adds a bit of spiciness, but is tempered perfectly by the natural sweetness in the squash and shrimp.
The smaller you dice up the squash, the quicker it will become tender (and the sooner you can eat!).
You can use either evaporated milk (which will not curdle when long simmered) or canned coconut milk. Although if using coconut milk, be sure the simmering temperature is very low.
Butternut & Shrimp Curry Bisque
- 8 cups butternut squash peeled, seeded & cubed
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 4 cups GF chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 ½ cups evaporated milk or canned coconut milk*
- 2-3 Tbsp GF Thai red curry paste to taste
- 1 lb shrimp peeled & deveined (chop or keep whole)
- In a large pot combine squash, garlic, stock and butter over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Stir in evaporated milk and curry paste to taste. Use a food processor or an immersion blender and puree until smooth.
- Add shrimp and lightly simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Salt to taste.