Lightened Mac 'N Cheese
We cut the calories in this version by omitting the butter and flour mixture. This ‘roux’ is what typically thickens the sauce, but instead we are replacing that with a creamy vegetable purée.
- 3 cups cauliflower florets chopped
- 1 cup low fat milk or milk alternative
- 1 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chipotle pepper spice cayenne, paprika, or black pepper
In a covered saucepan, bring to a boil the cauliflower and milk. Reduce heat and simmer until tender.
Pour into a blender and puree until smooth.
Pour back into saucepan and add cheese’s and seasonings to taste. Heat and stir until smooth and creamy.
Cook your favorite GF pasta, then toss together with the sauce to serve.