Halibut Skewers with Zhoug Sauce
Zhoug Sauce is a Middle Eastern (Yemen) condiment that can be added to really anything. Salads and stews, dipped with bread, or used as a sauce for meat, poultry and fish.
Sauce (makes 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley
- 1 large jalapeño pepper seeded & chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 halibut fillets cut into 1" chunks
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 6 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or 4 fresh sprigs
- 1 lemon peeled (use vegetable peeler, cutting rind into thin strips)
- Salt and pepper
For marinade, combine all ingredients into a dish, tossing gently to combine. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
For sauce, add herbs, pepper and garlic to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. With machine running, pour in oil. Once combined, add remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Thread halibut onto water soaked skewers and grill until cooked, about 2 minutes per side.
Drizzle cooked skewers with the sauce, or serve it on the side.