This is a delicious vegetarian version of the Mexican classic dish. The ingredient list may seem like it’s missing something, but you don’t need any liquid in this dish to cook all the ingredients. The moisture in the veggies and beans is all you need to create this hearty tortilla filling in your slow cooker.
Because gluten free tortillas tend to crack easily when rolled, we’ve created a stacked/baked version of a burrito.
Layer ingredients in the order listed – since the butternut squash is the hardest, it goes in the bottom. Do not open or stir until after 4 hours! Then check and make sure the squash is tender, then gently stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Season to taste with salt if desired.
Use store bought GF corn tortillas, or try making your own homemade corn tortillas using my favorite tortilla press – this makes them all the perfect thickness and shape every time.
Start with a layer of tortillas on the bottom of a pie plate or baking dish. Spoon a generous portion of the bean mixture onto the tortillas and top with some shredded cheese. Repeat for 2-3 layers. Finish with a sprinkle of cheese and bake at 400°F for 10-15 minutes until cheese and filling is hot.
Did you know a Pressure Cooker can work just like a slow cooker? Here are some setting conversions:
For the Instant Pot:
Low = keep warm on a traditional slow cooker.
Medium = low on a traditional slow cooker.
High = medium high on a traditional slow cooker.
Veggie & Bean Burritos (Slow Cooker)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder for spicy or paprika/smoked paprika (for mild)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 large sweet potato finely diced
- 1 can 15oz black beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded & minced (or 2-4 Tbsp canned green chilies, to taste)
- 1 green pepper finely diced
- 1 cup corn
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1-2 cup Cheddar or Monterey cheese grated
- Corn tortillas
- Salt to taste
- In a small dish combine spices, set aside.
- Add to slow cooker, in order; sweet potato, beans, sprinkle over half of spice mixture. Continue adding garlic, onion, peppers and corn, followed by remaining spice mixture.
- Cook on LOW 4-5 hours, until sweet potato is tender (do not open or stir until 4 hours is up). Add lime juice and cilantro, and gently stir. Season to taste with salt and more spice if desired.
- To assemble, add ½-1 cup of the bean mixture to each tortilla along with some cheese. Roll up and heat in oven or microwave until cheese is melted. Or you can create a layered tortilla dish (as pictured) by placing a tortillas in a baking dish, top with a generous helping of the bean mixture, and sprinkle over some cheese. Repeat with 2-3 more layers. Bake at 400°F until cheese is melted and filling is hot, about 10 minutes.
- If desired serve with, salsa and sour cream.
GFC Tried & Tested Recommendations
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!