Your friends will be asking for these time and time again!
- 2 packages of active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup potato starch
- 4 tsp xanthan gum
Dip: 1/2 cup warm water + 1 Tbsp baking soda
Topping: 1 cup melted butter or margarine + favorite flavoring (see below)
- Mix first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix salt, rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum in a medium bowl. Put half the flour mixture into the yeast mixture.
- Mix with a hand electric mixer on low speed until all ingredients mixed in. Add the other half of the flour. Mix with the mixer until well combined. Do not over beat.
- Grease a bowl with Crisco or a few teaspoons of vegetable oil. Transfer the dough to this bowl and turn dough over so that it is greased on all sides. Cover with a damp towel. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Make the dip: mix baking soda and warm water in a shallow pan (a round cake pan works well).
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Gently roll each into a rope with your hands and/or on waxed paper. The dough is fragile and will come apart easily so rest the parts that are not between your hands on the waxed paper so that it is supported. Shape the rope into a pretzel shape. If parts of the dough feel dry, put a few drops of the baking soda water on your hands.
- Dip each pretzel in the baking soda/water, then lay them on the greased cookie sheet and bake at 550F for 7-8 minutes (they will be a faint tan but not deep brown).
- Remove from oven and dip each pretzel in the melted butter sprinkle generously with favorite topping.