Sloppy Joe’s are an easy and quick dish to prepare. Top on a grilled portobello mushroom, or in your favorite gluten free bun.
|Grilled Portobello Sloppy Joe's|| |
- 8 portobello mushroom caps
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½-1 tsp chili powder
- 1 lb ground beef*
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 Tbsp GF tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp GF Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp GF liquid beef bouillon, optional
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Remove stem and gills from mushrooms, using a spoon to gently scrape the out. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, green pepper, celery, and chili powder in 2 Tbsp of oil until onion is softened. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the ground beef until fully cooked, drain any fat. Add in remaining ingredients, and simmer until mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While meat mixture is cooking, prepare the mushroom caps. Grill them on each side using; the stovetop (as pictured), in the oven under the broiler, or you can use a panini press. Grill mushrooms until they are slightly softened, then set aside.
- To serve, on top of each mushroom (gill-side up) add ¾ cup of Sloppy Jop mixture.
-If can't find GF liquid bouillon, use powdered version mixed with a bit of water.
[hr]FAQ: Is Vinegar Safe?