From baking cookies to roasting potatoes, a good quality sheet pan will handle a multitude of jobs in the kitchen, and last generations when cared for properly.
What to look for when buying
- The most useful size is 17 x 12 x 1 inch (exterior dimensions), however only 1 of them can fit on the oven rack (since you want air flow around the pans). If you want a pan a bit smaller, the 15 x 10 x 1 inch pans can be placed side by side on one rack in the oven.
- Made from heavy gauge rolled aluminum, these pans are extremely durable and will not warp even when under the broiler. Good quality pans are noticeable heavier and sturdier than cheaper ones.
- Avoid the darker colored pans with a non-stick coating. These pans absorb more heat and can quickly burn your food if you are not watching. The light colored ones (made only from aluminum) is what you should look for. Aluminum is reactive, so when cooking acidic foods like tomatoes, use a parchment or silicone liner.
Cooking Note: Ever notice that sticky brown buildup on your pans after a while? I bet you use cooking spray, right? The additives that are in cooking spray don't all burn off during cooking (which is why you mainly notice the buildup around the sides of the pan where the spray accumulates). You can do some serious scrubbing and eventually clean it off I (don't use oven cleaner pray or you'll ruin the finish on your sheet pans!), but a better way is to use whole fats like oil or butter instead of a cooking spray.
GFC Tried & Tested Recommendations
Other accessories for your sheet pan
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!