Although a more relaxed version of the diet allows the following:
- Grass-fed meats (includes bacon, sausage, beef jerky, and another other minimally processed meats)
- Fresh fruits
- Fresh vegetables
- Healthy oils: olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut
- Sweeteners: honey, agave, maple syurp, stevia
- Cereal grains
- Legumes (beans, peas, soy, lentils, including peanuts)
- Refined sugar
- Processed foods (spam, hot dogs)
- Overly salty foods
- Refined vegetable oils
- Fruit Juices, alcohol
- Candy/junk/processed food
Some vegetables like potatoes, corn, and squash are considered paleo, however due to their high starchy quality, they should be avoided.
*For a more thorough list of foods to eat/avoid and more reference information, see those websites dedicated to a Paleo lifestyle.
Please note: Some recipes we categorize as Paleo may have non-Paleo ingredients that are easily substituted for Paleo-allowed ingredients and we assume you will make the correct substitutions (eg. almond milk instead of cow’s milk), or omit them entirely (like salt). We have tried to be as thorough and complete as we can in identifying Paleo-friendly ingredients in our recipes, however our list is by no means exhaustive, and some ingredients may have been overlooked. If you notice a problem please use the “Report A Problem” link on the page you notice it on and tell us about it.