Sweet and light lemon sponge cake filled with tart lemon filling.
Lemon Sponge Roll
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar divided
- 3 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Icing sugar for dusting
Recipe for Lemon Curd Filling
- Beat together egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until creamy and fluffy. Mix in zest, and juice.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, and baking powder, then combine with yolk mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites and 1 Tbsp sugar until they are frothy. Then add cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Then fold into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased and wax paper lined rimmed baking sheet, and bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until the cake is light brown and set.
- Sprinkle icing sugar onto a clean dish towel and turn cake out onto it (prevents cake from sticking to towel). While still warm, peel off wax paper, sprinkle with more icing sugar then starting at the narrow end, roll up leaving the dish towel inside the rolls. Place seam-side down and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Make the lemon curd filling, allow to cool to room temperature.
- Gently unroll the cake and spread with an even layer of the filling. Roll the cake back up, discarding the towel. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, sprinkle with additional confectioners sugar, and slice.