A tasty treat for the holidays or parties.
Layered Chocolate Meringue Bars
- 1/2 cup GF Flour Blend
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 eggs separated
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup ground almonds toasted
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate grated
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
TOPPING AND ICING
- 11 ounces GF cream cheese softened
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tsp GF vanilla
- 4 cups icing sugar approx
- 2 Snickers candy bars chopped
- 4 oz GF semi-sweet chocolate melted and cooled
- CRUST:Mix four, baking powder, and salt, then set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter for 30 seconds, then slowly add in sugar while mixer is running. Then add in the vanilla and egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in the flour mixture and mix well, followed by the chocolate and almonds. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites until they are stiff and glossy. Then fold them into the crust mixture, and pour into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- MERINGUE:Line another 9x9 pan with a lightly greased piece of waxed paper.
- Use the mixer, again and blend the vanilla with the whites of the eggs. Blend on low. Blend in the cream of tartar on medium, mix in the sugar, a little at a time and switch mixer to high, until hard. Then pour into pan and bake at 300°F for 45 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, turn off, then put back to dry for 45 minutes to an hour.
- TOPPING AND ICING:In a large bowl, mix the butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add the vanilla and slowly add in just enough icing sugar until its spreadable.
- In another bowl, mix 1 ¾ cups of this mixture with the Snickers. Set this aside.
- With the remainder of the butter/cream mixture mix in the chocolate (this will be the icing).
- ASSEMBLY: Remove crust layer from pan and put on a plate. Spread half of the Snickers mixture on top. Remove the wax paper from the meringue and place it on top of the filling you just spread. Next, spread the other half of the snickers mixture. Finally cover with the chocolate icing mixture all over the sides and top.
- Refrigerate 4 hours, then serve.