After your turkey dinner, save the bones – they make the best tasting soup ever!
HomemadeTurkey Noodle Soup
- Turkey carcass cooked
- 2 bay leaves
Soup Ingredient Suggestions:
- 3-4 carrots chopped
- 2-3 potatoes peeled, chopped
- 3-4 celery stalks chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh or dried parsley
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- Rice or GF pasta
- 1-2 Tbsp GF pesto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare broth, remove any large pieces of skin, then place the entire turkey carcass - bones and all, into a large stock pot. Add enough water to cover completely, and add bay leaves. Cover and allow to simmer on low for 3-4 hours. Turn heat off and let sit on counter, covered, overnight.
- Skim off any (yellow) fat that has risen to the surface. Pour mixture through strainer. Discard bones, cartilage and fat. Pick out pieces of meat, tearing up into bite-sized pieces and place in bowl with strained stock.
- Over medium heat simmer stock, vegetables, herbs and any other spices you'd like, until vegetables are tender. If adding rice, stir into the pot 20 minutes before serving. For pasta, add in about 10 minutes before serving - you don't want to overcook it where it can become mushy. If desired, just before serving, add in some pesto for added flavor.
If you don't want to make soup, another great option is to freeze the broth into ice cube trays (small plastic bags or containers). Then you can pop a few into whatever dish you need to enhance with a rich meaty flavor.
If you aren’t sure how to prepare and cook the perfect turkey (along with everything else that goes with it), check this out!