Smooth, and delicate cake with a truffle like texture. This is cake will have everyone raving, and no one guessing that it’s gluten free (which is really what we want right?).
Melt chocolate and butter together in microwave, or over a double boiler, stirring until smooth. Allow to cool slightly before adding to egg yolk mixture.
Whip egg whites until thick stiff peaks form. Use a whisk and mix in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture – this thins the batter slightly.
After the first 1/3 is whisked in, use a rubber spatula and fold in the remaining egg whites. Do this gently, you don’t want to lose the volume from the egg whites. Pour into a springform pan – make sure you don’t grease the sides of the pan, as the batter needs to stick to the sides of the pan as it rises and cooks. This will make it light and fluffy (if you do grease the sides, the cake will fall as it cools – but it will still taste great).
Flourless Espresso Chocolate Cake
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 6 oz dark chocolate 70% cacao
- 6 eggs separated, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 3 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Melt chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, beat yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until thick and pale in color, about 3 minutes. Mix in espresso powder and salt, then beat in vanilla and melted chocolate mixture for another minute.
- In another bowl, whip egg whites while slowly adding remaining 1/2 cup sugar, until stiff peaks form. Fold in chocolate mixture (in 3 batches), gently mixing until combined.
- Pour into a prepared 9" springform pan (grease bottom only, not sides) and bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in pan, then remove sides.