A crunchy southern style chicken dish baked in the oven.
Crispy Southern Fried Chicken
- 3 1/2 cups GF bread crumbs
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk or milk alternative
- 2 lbs skinless/boneless chicken pieces
- In a medium bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and spices and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk.
- Dip each piece of chicken in buttermilk mixture then roll in breadcrumb mixture, coating well. Press loose crumbs into the meat.
- Place each piece of chicken on a non-stick cookie sheet (or lightly oil a baking sheet).
- Bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes or until golden, turning once halfway through baking.
To Make Buttermilk: put 1 1/2 Tbsp vinegar into measuring cup and add whole milk (or milk alternative) to bring to 1 1/4 cups – let stand 5 minutes.