An old family favorite cake with a delicious topping to serve with coffee.
Coffee Cake with Cocoa Crumble
- 4 eggs separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cocoa
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup nuts chopped
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine softened
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
- In another bowl beat the egg yolks until light and creamy, then mix in sugar. Add the flour, salt, lemon juice and vanilla and mix well.
- Fold egg whites into the batter mixture and pour into a greased/floured 9-inch round pan.
- For the topping, blend butter with sugar, nuts, cinnamon, flour, and cocoa, then sprinkle mixture on top of batter.
- Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F and bake for another 15 minutes.