Keep this recipe handy as you will use it time and time again The key to a crispier crust is to pre-bake it before adding the toppings.
Classic Herb Pizza Crust
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp sugar honey or agave syrup
- 1 Tbsp dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp powdered milk or a powdered milk substitute
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- Using a mixer, put the first three ingredients in bowl and let sit for 10 minutes so yeast is activated.
- Then add in remaining ingredients and mix at low speed until incorporated. Then mix on high for 2 minutes (if the dough is too stiff, add some water - only one tablespoon at a time, until dough does not resist beaters). The dough will resemble soft bread dough.
- Place mixture on floured surface and spread out to desired thickness, raising edges just a bit. Place on a greased baking pan with some (gluten free) cornmeal sprinkled on it. This will help it from sticking as well as give it a crunchier crust. Brush with olive oil*, then bake at 425°F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, then spread on your sauce and add toppings. Then reduce oven temperature to 400°F, and continue baking for another 15-25 minutes (depending on thickness) or until top is nicely browned.