Keep this recipe handy as you will use it time and time again The key to a crispier crust is to pre-bake it before adding the toppings.
|Classic Herb Pizza Crust|
Author: Marla Hingley
Keep this recipe handy as you will use it time and time again -so flavourful!
- ⅔ cup warm water
- ½ tsp sugar, honey or agave syrup
- 1 Tbsp dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp powdered milk (or a powdered milk substitute)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- Using a mixer, put the first three ingredients in bowl and let sit for 10 minutes so yeast is activated.
- Then add in remaining ingredients and mix at low speed until incorporated. Then mix on high for 2 minutes (if the dough is too stiff, add some water - only one tablespoon at a time, until dough does not resist beaters). The dough will resemble soft bread dough.
- Place mixture on floured surface and spread out to desired thickness, raising edges just a bit. Place on a greased baking pan with some (gluten free) cornmeal sprinkled on it. This will help it from sticking as well as give it a crunchier crust. Brush with olive oil*, then bake at 425°F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, then spread on your sauce and add toppings. Then reduce oven temperature to 400°F, and continue baking for another 15-25 minutes (depending on thickness) or until top is nicely browned.
*If you want a thicker crust - lightly drape a piece of greased plastic wrap over the dough and allow to rise for 30 minutes in a warm place before baking.