Tender and moist inside, with a flavorful crispy coating – you sure can taste the difference when you take the time to marinate the chicken in buttermilk.
Instead of entirely deep-frying, we use 2 cooking methods to help reduce the amount of oil the chicken absorbs and it’s also a time saver for you in the kitchen. Deep frying chicken can take up to 20 minutes of constant supervision (turning chicken, monitoring temperature), but by using the oven to finish cooking, it cuts that time in half.
Prepare the buttermilk marinade and allow to soak overnight in the fridge. The enzymes and acids in the buttermilk is what breaks down some of the proteins in the chicken, thus tenderizing it.
Coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture and allow to sit on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. This gives the flour coating enough time to become moistened and adhere better to the chicken, so it won’t slip off when frying.
Fry in an inch of oil for about 5 minutes per side, then finish cooking in the oven – place on a wire rack covered baking sheet – this will keep the skin crispy underneath while it finishes baking.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken pieces with skin
- 2 cups buttermilk*
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cup fresh mixed herbs parley, tarragon, thyme
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 cup GF flour blend
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs**
- In a large bowl combine marinade and soak chicken overnight (8 hours).
- For the Coating, combine all the dry ingredients in a large shallow bowl.
- Strain marinade into a bowl. Discard all but ¾ of the liquid and whisk in the eggs.
- Coating one piece of chicken at a time, dip chicken in the marinade mixture, then roll in coating. Pressing well to adhere. Set pieces aside on a wire rack for 10 minutes to ensure the flour is well moistened and sticks to the chicken, and won't slip off when frying.
- In a large deep skillet, fill oil to a depth of 1” and bring to 350°F over medium high heat. Fry a few pieces at a time, 5 minutes on each side then place on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Once all pieces have been partially cooked, place in oven at 375°F and bake for 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Tools used in this recipe:
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!